Change your workplace conflict culture
Engage in conflict resolution rather than conflict conservation. The more you are resisting a conversation the more it probably needs to happen. Choose to express your needs in a way that can be understood and increase the likelihood of achieving resolution. Learn effective communication skills to change the conflict dynamic from defence and attack to expression and understanding.
Strengthen workplace relationships
- 1. Communicate with clarity and honesty. Give yourself the best chance of being heard and understood.
- 2. Diffuse intense emotions and tension. Learn how to deescalate situations and remove triggers for defensive or aggressive behaviours.
- 3. Build trust. Communicate without blame or aggression and in a way that is congruent with your core values.
Conflict resolution skill acquisition
- How to listen effectively and encourage others to so the same
- How to express what you need
- How to be collaborative
- How to set boundaries without alienating people or escalating conflict
- Learn to communicate your emotions without communicating emotionally
Benefits of effective communication skills
- You will be able to take the focus away from positions or mental constructs that are inhibiting resolution
- You will know how to stay focussed on the problem not the people or personalities
- You can use your skills to help people become collaborators to problem solving rather than an opponents
- You will the skills to address the underlying emotions driving conflict resolution strategies and responses
- You will be able to participate in constructive conversations rather than escalate perceived personality clashes
Benefits to your career and workplace
- Learning and applying effective communication skills creates respectful and efficient workplaces
- Less tension in the workplace improves morale and productivity
- Effective communication will allow you to design options to reframe conflict as an opportunity to make positive changes
- Learning to communicate effectively increases the likelihood that you will be heard and understood
- Improving you interpersonal skills increases your ability to effectively problem solve and therefore enhances your career advancement prospects